Sunday, November 04, 2012


Happy fall.   
The leaves are falling here in northern California, and the warm days are suddenly very crispy and cool.    I am headed back to Santa Barbara today, after 10 days up north in Pleasanton/Livermore.  Fall reminds us that life goes on,  the colors of the leaves change and there is a beauty like no other time of year.  I love the Fall!    Each year I usually experience this more by going to Kansas City and seeing all the red leaf maples, or to Mammoth with the beautiful yellow Aspen trees.  But this year was different.  

I have had a new adventure of sorts.  Anyway, it has been a new experience for me anyway.  But I guess our lives are all an adventure, so this is just mine. 
 The last 10 days. I have been the " Mama Bear" as we would say remembering my Mom. My sister Jill asked me 2 years ago to be the "Mama Bear" for her girls when they had their babies since she could not be here.  Our Mom came and stayed with each one of us when we had our babies.  ( and she had 12 grand babies).   Sooooo here I am, and what an amazing experience.   My neice Bonnie has had her 2nd baby, a little boy named Colby.    Since she would be in the hospital for 3-5 days with a csection I came up to care for Casen her 1  and 1/2 year old while his Mommy And Daddy were in the hospital having baby brother #2.  That was an experience in itself.  Hanging out with a one and 1/2 year old  Casen, day  and night is something I will never forget.  So much fun!   And so much constant attention!   I totally enjoyed myself and I totally am thankful I had my kids when I was young!  We hung out at the parks,  walked the dog, played lots of games,  cooked and cleaned and visited the hospital to meet his little brother.  It was pretty exciting.  
 I am so glad that I did this also.  With tears I choke up remembering my sister Jill.   We have so many lessons of life we learned together growing up and the lessons from her life as she endured the cancer treatments and operations over 4 years.   Most importantly I remember her selflessness.   No matter how bad she felt someone was always having it worse and she reached out to them --Meals, a hand, a friendship call,  whatever she could do.    Jill was always there.  Together we were able to pull together so many family reunions over the years.  Getting 12 Grandkids and their family all together plus my Uncle's family is no easy task.   But we did do it together, and now we see the fruit of pulling together and supporting each other.  

Something else that touched me last  week was at her church Cornerstone.   The pastor talked about Nehemiah and reaching out into your commmunity and family.   I realize how in our family over many generations,  we have reached out to each other.   Over the years acts of selfless caring for each other is the glue that helps make our family close to each other and want to stick together.  For me to see how God has used me in other lives touches my soul.  We truly are HIs Hands reaching out to our own family and friends.  ( My Nehemiah lesson). 

One more thing,  today the birthday day of my "Bonne Mama".  My Grandmother Laure Scribe  was born Nov.4 1894.  Quite a long time ago.  But I remember her a lot these days.  I have translated her memories ( 200 pages)  into the beginning of a book.  If you read this far, then perhaps you would enjoy the book I am working on.  I am only to chapter 8 at this time.  I have re edited 1894- 1918.  More to come.  Check out BonJourBonneMama.com    Let me know what you think.   Its been a work in progress for the last 2 years.       Love to all especially to my family.   LH

No comments: