Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Memories 2012

May 28, 2012
Happy Memorial Day!           ( American Cemetery -- Normandy France)
 
 " Greater Love has no man than to be able to give up his life for another".  I am thankful for the note today at church addressing how it is important to remember those who have been lost, giving their lives for the life of others.   Being a student of history and WW2 I have learned so much about all the wars that have been fought, and are being fought now.

Memorial day brings back memories for me of going to Forest Lawn in Glendale for the Memorial day services.  Both my Grandfather's fought in WW1, with my Bonne Papa  a prisoner of war through most of 4 1/2 years. 1914-1918.  My Father and his brother served in WW2 and my brother was in Boy scouts earning his Eagle badge then.  I have a picture in my mind always of the 3 generations walking forward and saluting the flag.  My brother was the bugle player then.
This is how I spent my birthdays growing up.  I am a Memorial day baby.  And now after all these years its pretty special to think I can celebrate my birthday on such a special day.

One of the most touching places I have ever been is the American Cemetery in France, above the Omaha beaches of DDay.   I went there in 2004 with Rachel and 2 of her friends.  There were over 350 unknown soldiers here.  Young men who were never able to see their families again, or perhaps even have a family.  As we were walking around I met 2 such elderly men, who had actually landed at the DDay beaches.  I don't remember their names now.  I think one was Jack.  He had landed on June 6 or Day 2.  The other elderly gentleman had landed one week later.   They were touring with Operation Overlord I believe.  It's a tour group that took former Veteran's on battlefield tours with their families.  They had been to the Dover shores, and now were in Normandy.  What an experience for all of them.  I am sure they are gone now, almost 8 years later, but the memory lives on.

Back to my story though now.  I had said thank you for serving.  I was honored to meet them, heroes from WW2.  ( I just think of every VET as a hero).    They told me they were not the heroes.  Those men buried there in the fields were the heroes.  They had given the ultimate sacrifice.  They  had had lives well lived.  Families, children and grandchildren.  These men in the field, each buried under one of the white crosses never had a chance.  They are the heroes.  And their were there to honor the fallen heroes.

  I remember my Dad,  my grandfathers,  and Uncles.  My Dad was in transportation Corp in Belgium for the Bulge.    Uncle Clem was a tank driver, and was in battles from  Cherbourg all the way to Germany and VE day.  Uncles Joe, Clem, and Uncle Mike were in Battle of the Bulge.  Joe was shot the first day in battle, but survived.     I think about those who did not make it back.  My Uncle Alain, Mom's brother, who died because he was part of the Belgian Resistance.    He lived for 2 1/2 years in the concentration camp system, as a laborer.  He was sent to a camp called Sonnenberg a political prisoner camp.   He never made it back.

  I do remember, and I honor these men because they understood the meaning of serving their country.
Now today. ....   Memorial Day, I like to reflect back on that time.  I understand better now than I did as  young girl.  Do remember those who have gone before you.  It's not depressing  but honoring.    I am glad to have the memories of different Veteran's events honoring our fallen.  And I am glad to share my birthday with such an honor. 

And I will pray for those who are serving us now.  Especially Cousin Charlie!     That is an honor too.     LH

No comments: